I have decided to use my two part mould to create my character. I wasnt so shire about how i was going to carry out making the character, so I did a few experiments. i was going to use J-Foam to make it. So that the J-foam didnt stick to the plaster mould, I painted it first with coloured latex.
I then place the armature (that is wrapped in cling film to protect the joints from blocking up with the jfoam.)
I the clamped the mould together. The foam comes in two parts, and once mixed together, takes 15 second before setting to I had to work with it really fast, and pour it into the holes I drilled in my mould very quickly. Once set, I could then take the mould appart.
This first experiiment didnt quite go to plan. I think the problem was that we didnt mix up enough of the j-foam as the legs wernt covered.
I tried the same experiement again, but still there wasnt enought foam mixed up. For the thired experiment, I made sure there was enough foam.
I could see that the foam had spread through the mould as it expanded through and out of the holes in the mould. I also did a thiker layer of latex and paint inside the mould. When the foam had set it was time to take the mould apart. Although the character came out fine, and was a sucess, getting it out of the mould proved to be really difficult. As I used lots of foam to ensure all the gaps got filled in my character, but doing that caused the foam to leak out ans stick the two parts of the mould together. This caused the mould to break when I was attempting to separate the mould. Luckely my characte came out fine!
Once it was out of the mould, I trimmed all the excess latex off the model and painted it using some acrylic paint and latex.
This is what the finished character looked like.
Although this process worked, I stil wasnt totally happy with it and still plan to remake it before I shoot the animation. When I remake it I will use the same technique, but will make the clothes out of fabric.