Tuesday, 22 November 2011

New Prop Module...

This week we began our new Prop Module. It is a Live brief based on Flowers and Foliage. We are to design large scale flowers to be used in the CCAD End of year degree show. When the Degree show is over the sculptures will be heading over to a company called Event Prop Hire, who will use the sculptures to hire out at different events.

To start off the module, we were introduced to some sculpting materials and techniques. I decided to give it a go and create a small Flower Character. Within some research i bought some Lilly's and decided to draw them from different angles. I then Decided it would be a good idea to create my character based on the Lillie's. so i drew up a quick sketch. Once my sketch was complete, it was time to start making my armature from wire.

Now I had done this before for my Farmer Wool Room Animation, using Plasticine. however this was a difficult material to use to I decided to try a new different material.

Here are some Photographs of the process of my Wire Armature

This is the matereial I used on my wire armeture. Here are the photops of the ptocess I went through building up my character.

Tools I used for the detail.

Thursday, 17 November 2011

Mouldings For The Victorian Set ...

As you know, i have been working on designing a Victorian set for the Production of 'Is Any Body There?' at the Theatre Royal. From my research i have noticed there is a lot of Dado Rail and Skirting boards in Victorian rooms. They are usually really detailed and I thought it would be good to try and create my own mouldings from things i found lying around. These included scrap bits of wood, String and Dowel that i arranged together and glued. Once dry i painted them up and layered them with some oil based scumble. i left it on for a hour and rubbed it off with a soft cloth which left them with a lovely wooden effect. Here are some photos of the process and mouldings.

Tuesday, 15 November 2011

What I Have Been Up To ..

It has been a while since I have posted on my blog, but i have been really busy lately and cant wait to fill you in on all the exciting things i have been up to.

I have been researching a lot of Victorian styles, homes and designs for my new Set Design brief. We are currently working to create a set for the Theatre Royal in new castle for a new up coming production called 'Is Any Body There?' I have been working and designing layouts for the set and will post some photographs up of my first  rough ideas and sketches.

I have also been working really hard making an Automata for Prop Design. creating and understanding mechanisms, and how they work is a really employable skill in the prop industry. Part of the module we have just completed gave us a chance to experiment and create our own mechanism. Coming from a Heavy TV and Film Production back ground this was a new challenge for me and it gave me the chance to work in a workshop environment, getting use to different materials and machines, and to be hones t i really enjoyed it and was really pleased with my final piece and how it turned out. Even though the original idea for my automata didn't totally go to plan, i still managed to get a working finished piece. This is what my final one looked like.

Tuesday, 18 October 2011

The Wool Room Farmer ... My First Annimation!

This is a Stop motion annimation I created for The Wool Room. This was a really exciting yet challening project. This was the first annimation i had ever attepted and was a challenge concidering it was for a live client. I did a lot of research into stop motion. I designed and made all the Characters Sets and Props and 4 solid filming weeks and over 8000 photos later, my annimation was complete! Hope you enjoy and let me know what you think!


This Is My Film Daisy... I Co- Wrote, Produced and Directed the Film, and its a film I feel Proud of. I Don't want to give away the Plot, but please watch this powerful moving Short film and let me know what you think!

Hope you enjoy!

My 2011 Showreel Writer, Producer and Director...

This Here is my 2011 Show Reel ... Hope you enjoy!

Photograph Of My Finished Scenic Canvas...

This Here is a Photograph of my Finished Canvas.

Monday, 17 October 2011

Set Design - Scenic Painted Canvas

For the past four weeks, i have been working on a 8ft x 4ft Canvas to go on display in the new university lecture theatre. The Canvas had to be based on an image from 'the Grammar of Ornament' by Owen Jones.After Building the actual canvas frame, i gave it a base coat, drew out the design then painted it. 57 hours later and my canvas is complete!! It was a lot of work, but i enjoyed it and am pleased with the final out come. i will post up a picture of the Finished canvas soon!

Welcome To My Blog..

Hello ... Just a quick post to say welcome to my blog! I will be using this Blog to track my progress and achievements through my next two years of University. I am Currently Studying BA Hons Entertainment Design Crafts. My Previous blog http://crazywaveproductionblog.blogspot.com Was for FDA TV and Film Production, but now as I have changed Courses to top up my FDA, I have made a new Blog!

I am going to keep this Blog up to date wit recent projects and things that i will be making doing and researching.

Hopefully when I Graduate from this course, , i want to expand my business 'Heavy Rain Productions' which me and Sophie Crawford set up, so that its not just a Film making business, but a Production Design on too!

Any ways enough of me babbling on,  Hope you enjoy!